January 24, 2020 Class News
We had a wonderful week in Room 1! We are excited in preparing for Catholic School’s Week. Take a look at what we have been up to.
Sight Words: Our two sight words this week: all and were. Next week we will learn we and when. Are you practicing sight words at home? You can make simple flash cards out of our words and practice them with your child!
Phonics: Our phonics focus this week was a review of the two digraphs ch and sh. Students cut out their sort cards, glued them onto their graphic organizer and lastly spelled our own words and drew pictures that began with ch and sh. Ask your child if they know what the word digraph means! Next week we will learn th and wh.
Literacy Centers: Thank you so much to the parent volunteers who come in to help during literacy centers. The students love having parents in the classroom and the support you provide during this time is much appreciated. At the library center, students enjoyed reading picture books independently. At the sight word center, students worked on writing sentences that use the weeks sight words. At the phonics centers, students walked around the room finding cards that had words with a matching picture on them, they then had to look at their recording sheet and figure out which word rhymed with the card they were looking at. For example, a picture of a hat was on their recording sheet and the rhyming card they had to find said “cat”. At our guided reading center, we worked on letter sounds and brainstorming words that began with those sounds. We also continue to move through reading our leveled reading group books.
Writer’s Workshop: In celebration of the upcoming Catholic Schools Week, we wrote about what we love about our school. We continue to focus on beginning the sentence with a capital letter, finger spaces and finishing the sentence with a period. Some students wrote how they love P.E., recess, and hot lunch, others wrote about how they love reading, writing, and their friends! Come check out these writing projects when you come on Sunday for Catholic Schools Week open house!
Math: We are finishing up Chapter 4, composing and decomposing numbers 1-10! Students are using manipulatives to show multiple ways to make a number or take it apart. We are showing different ways in our math journals and in groups!
Students continued working with Counting Collections and really enjoy their time counting fun items and recording their findings! They are practicing making groups of 5’s and 10’s to show their recordings instead of groups of just 1’s. Ask your child what bag they counted and how they went about counting it!
Second Step: Ms. Shaw visited our classroom this week to begin the Kelso’s Choice lessons again. This week the students learned about Share and Take Turns. Students discussed what it means to share and brainstormed times in which they feel that it is easy to share and times in which it is hard for them to share. They talked about what they can do and things they can think about when they are patiently waiting their turn for something. Taking deep breaths and reminding yourself that it’s ok to wait are ways that students can regulate their feelings when they are waiting for a turn. Students shared what they can say to someone when they’d like them to know they want a turn with something. For example, “Can I use that now please?”, “Let’s do it together”, or “Can we take turns?”. The lesson ended with students demonstrating how they can offer someone else a turn, like saying “Do you want a turn now?” or “You can have a turn now”. Practicing sharing with your child at home and ways in which to express that they would like something is always beneficial!
Common Core Standards we’re working on:
- I can read common sight words.
- I can count to 100 by ones and tens.
- I can count forward beginning with a given number within the known sequence (instead of starting at 1)
- Identify whether the number of objects in one group is greater than, less than, or equal to the number of objects in another group, e.g., by using matching and counting strategies.
- I can read emergent level text with purpose and understanding.
- With prompting and support, I can ask and answer questions about key details in text.
- I can spell simple words phonetically.
- I can read CVC words.
- I can speak audibly and express thoughts, feelings and ideas clearly.
- I can read the words in a book in the right order.
- I can tell how the words and pictures go together in stories.
- I can say the most common sound for each consonant in the alphabet.
- I can draw or write to help me share what I think.
- I can help my class learn about a subject and then write about it.
- I can print lots of upper and lowercase letters.
- I can write numbers from 0-20.
- Sunday, January 26th– All School Liturgy/Open House for Catholic School’s Week
- January 27th-January 31st– Catholic Schools Week. Please see school website for more details on this week!
- Wednesday, February 12th– All School Liturgy for Saint Valentine’s Day!
- Thursday, February 13th– Saint Valentine’s Day Celebration!
- Please bring in a covered shoebox (any plain paper will do, do not decorate!); we will be decorating them in class!
- Your child may bring in one Valentine for each student in our class, there are 20 students. No names please!
- Friday February 14th, Monday February 17th, Tuesday February 18th– No School, Winter Holiday