November 5, 2021 Class News
We had a fun week filled with All Saints Day mass, a leaf hunt, and creating turkeys! Take a look at all we did!
Sight Words: Our two sight words this week: as and are. Next week we will learn with and his.
Phonics: During our Words Their Way phonics lesson this week we reviewed the letters /c/ /h/ /f/and /d/. We cut our “sort” cards, sorted them by beginning sounds, glued them on a graphic organizer and lastly drew and spelled our own words that begin with c, h, f and d. We love to come up with new words that begin with our letters of the week!
Literacy Centers: This week we continued reading groups, sight word center, independent library center, and iPad center. In the library center, students enjoyed their book bins as well as pumpkin and Thanksgiving books! At the phonics center, students built sight words. They had apple baskets labeled with a sight word, they then used small apple letter cards to build the sight word on the apple basket. Once they built the word, they recorded their sight word on a recording sheet! In reading groups, we continue to observe picture clues and word clues to make predictions about what the story will be about. We are stretching out words slowly to hear every letter in the word. We continue to practice reading CVC words and sight words in our reading group books. Thank you to Miss Maia and Mr Derek for coming in and volunteering in our classroom!
Writers Workshop/Science: We reviewed the four seasons and discussed the things we see and do during the fall. We went read the book We’re Going on a Leaf Hunt and went on our own leaf hunt around our campus! We then described our leaves using our five senses. They came up with some great descriptive words! We continue to work on finger spaces and writing with lowercase letters.
Math: This week we learned what an ordinal number is (up to 5)! Ask your child about first, second, third, fourth, and fifth! We continue to work hard in our math journals and use manipulatives to explain our thinking!
Religion: The entire kindergarten and 7th grade was able to attend the All Saints Day mass in person on Monday! We loved participating in the liturgy. We are Christ-centered students! (SLE)
Second Step: This week we continued our unit on Growth Mindset and Goal Setting. We learned two reasons to pay attention: to learn, and to stay safe. We want to learn and pay attention in school, as well as paying attention in places like the kitchen, and when crossing the street! This week we also learned that mistakes are okay! Students were able to recognize that mistakes are a part of learning, and everybody makes mistakes. We can use positive self talk to encourage ourselves and others around us. Students brainstormed saying things like, “Keep going!” and “Don’t give up!” when they make mistakes.
Art: With Thanksgiving coming up, we began to focus on and discuss as a class things that we are thankful for. Students created turkeys with 6 feathers, on each feather, students wrote something they were thankful for! Students brainstormed things like family, friends, school and food. Ask your child what they wrote on their turkey and the things they are thankful for in their life! We will continue this discussion throughout the month of November and will continue to discuss and add things in our lives that we are thankful for!
Common Core Standards we’re working on:
- I can read common sight words.
- I can read emergent level text with purpose and understanding.
- With prompting and support, I can ask and answer questions about key details in text.
- I can spell simple words phonetically.
- I can read CVC words.
- I can speak audibly and express thoughts, feelings and ideas clearly.
- I can read the words in a book in the right order.
- I can say the most common sound for each consonant in the alphabet.
- I can draw or write to help me share what I think.
- I can print lots of upper and lowercase letters.
- I can write numbers from 0-20.
- I can understand that the last thing I count tells the number of things in a group.
- I can name the number for each thing in a group as I count them.
- Thursday, November 11th – Veterans Day blessing, Dress Uniform
- Friday, November 12th – No School, Veterans Day Observance
- Monday, November 22 – Thanksgiving Mass, Dress Uniform
- Wednesday November 24 – Friday, November 26th – No School, Thanksgiving Holiday