November 11, 2023 Class News
We had a fun week together in Kindergarten! I had a such a nice time conferencing and sharing your child’s successes with you last week. I treasure being able to partner with such wonderful families. Your children are excited, kind and happy learners!
Next weeks Star Student will be Frances.
Sight Words: Our two sight words this week: with and his.
Phonics: Our Words Their Way phonics lesson this week was /l/ and /k/. We cut our “sort” cards, sorted them by beginning sounds, glued them on a graphic organizer and lastly drew and spelled our own words that begin with l and k. We love to come up with new words that begin with our letters of the week!
Handwriting: This week we focused on writing letters l and k. We also worked hard in our Handwriting Without Tears workbook!
Literacy centers: This week we continued reading groups, sight word center, independent library center, and iPad center. At the phonics center, students used Thanksgiving cards to put them in order to make Thanksgiving sentences! In reading groups, we continue to observe picture clues and word clues to make predictions about what the story will be about. We are stretching out words slowly like to hear every letter in the word. We continue to practice reading CVC words and sight words in our reading group books.
Thank you for all our parent volunteers who have been able to sign up!
Writers Workshop: We continue to write sentences and stories in our writing journals! We are trying to add the words “and” and “because” to create more thoughtful and descriptive sentences. If you want to write with your child at home, ask them what a finger space between words is and how to stretch out the word they are sounding out!
Math: This week we learned what an ordinal number is (up to 5)! Ask your child about first, second, third, fourth, and fifth! We continue to work hard in our math journals and use manipulatives to explain our thinking! Next week we will begin Chapter 3: Numbers Beyond 10.
This week we also learned how to play the card game, War! If you have a deck of cards at home, I encourage you to play with your child and challenge them to teach you how to play!
Social Studies: We read a mini-book about Veteran’s Day and drew a picture of why we are thankful to be free – to go to school, to vote, to have food, and more!
Religion: This week we introduced “Circle of Grace,” our new safety curriculum. Students are learning the area around their body (similar to personal space) is their “circle of Grace!” God is always with us in our circle of grace and only wants good things for us in our lives.
Common Core Standards we’re working on:
- I can read common sight words.
- I can read emergent level text with purpose and understanding.
- With prompting and support, I can ask and answer questions about key details in text.
- I can spell simple words phonetically.
- I can read CVC words.
- I can count and divide words into syllables.
- I can speak audibly and express thoughts, feelings and ideas clearly.
- I can read the words in a book in the right order.
- I can tell how the words and pictures go together in stories.
- I can say the most common sound for each consonant in the alphabet.
- I can draw or write to help me share what I think.
- I can help my class learn about a subject and then write about it.
- I can print lots of upper and lowercase letters.
- I can write numbers from 0-20.
- I can count up to 10 to tell how many things are in a group.
- I can understand that the last thing I count tells the number of things in a group.
- I can name the number for each thing in a group as I count them.
- Friday, November 10th – No School, Veteran’s Day (observed)
- Monday, November 20th – Dress Uniform, Thanksgiving Mass
- Tuesday, November 21st – Dress Uniform, Grandparents Day for 3rd-5th Grade/No Hot Lunch this day
- Wednesday November 22nd – Friday, November 24th – No School, Thanksgiving Holiday
- Wednesday, December 13th – Field trip to the Children’s Museum! Please do not order hot lunch for this day. More information to come!