December 17, 2021 Class News
It was a very busy week in Room 1! The kids could not be more excited for Christmas and their spirit grows each day in anticipation of this very special holiday.
Sight Words: Our two sight words this week: from and or. Our two sight words when we return from break: one and had. Are you practicing sight words at home? We have hints and reminders for almost all our sight words. Ask your child to show you the hints as they practice them!
Phonics: During our Words Their Way phonics lesson this week we learned the letters /t/ /x/. We cut our “sort” cards, sorted them by beginning sounds, glued them on a graphic organizer and lastly drew and spelled our own words that begin with t and x.
Writers Workshop: Since we have been reading, talking, and praying about the birth of Jesus and his family, we decided to make baby Jesus a gift. We brainstormed the kinds of gifts we thought he might like – “a toy, a book, a stuffy” were a few ideas. Students wrote about what they would give Jesus and drew a picture to match their words. Look in your child’s Friday folder for their gift to Jesus!
Math: This week we created a “math tree!” Students were given a Christmas tree and a data sheet. They chose two numbers to create an addition sentence! They showed their thinking using a tens frame, a number line, and words! Check out your child’s tree in their Friday folder.
Science: This week we were able to explore and experiment in our school’s Maker Space! Students created “snowball launchers” made out of cups, balloons, and cotton balls. Students then answered the question, what makes this snowball fly? Was it the balloon, the cup, air, force? Thank you to Mrs. O’Campo for leading such a fun S.T.E.M. project!
We also did a candy cane science experiment this week! We put candy canes into cups of cold water, warm water and vinegar. We made predictions about what we thought would happen to the candy canes. As we made our predictions, our candy canes sat in their cups of liquid. We then looked at what happened and recorded the results. Ask your chid what happened to each candy cane!
Religion: We continue to prepare our hearts for Jesus. We added ornaments to our Jesse tree each morning. A few we added this week were a lamb, a wreath, a manger and a gift! I encourage you and your child over the break to continue coloring and gluing their ornaments onto their Advent tree. Set your child up with crayons, a pencil and scissors and allow them quiet time to color in their ornaments!
Common Core Standards we’re working on:
- I can read common sight words.
- I can count to 100 by ones and tens.
- I can count forward beginning with a given number within the known sequence (instead of starting at 1)
- Identify whether the number of objects in one group is greater than, less than, or equal to the number of objects in another group, e.g., by using matching and counting strategies.
- I can read emergent level text with purpose and understanding.
- With prompting and support, I can ask and answer questions about key details in text.
- I can spell simple words phonetically.
- I can read CVC words.
- I can speak audibly and express thoughts, feelings and ideas clearly.
- I can read the words in a book in the right order.
- I can tell how the words and pictures go together in stories.
- I can say the most common sound for each consonant in the alphabet.
- I can draw or write to help me share what I think.
- I can help my class learn about a subject and then write about it.
- I can print lots of upper and lowercase letters.
- I can write numbers from 0-20.
- Tuesday, January 4th – Classes Resume